Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Oliver + S Roller Skate Dress "Flipped"

The pattern for the July Flip this pattern hosted by Frances Suzanne is the Oliver + S Roller Skate Dress/Tunic.  It's a good basic style with as many options as there are sewists.  I could see what I wanted to do to flip this pattern right away............but I also wanted my almost 13 yr old to wear it,,,eeeeeek!!!  So I only gave her my general idea of what it would end up as and made sure she liked the fabric choice.

Now, I am a lover of heirloom sewing and create along that line whenever I get the chance.  With that being said, I would have loved to make this in white batiste, with endless pintucks and flowing lace, but like I said, I want Sam to actually wear it, so this is our flipped Roller Skate Dress.!!!


She chose the fabric, we both love high-low hemlines, and I was able to add a bit of pintucks, piping and lace without any complaints...I  wanted pintucks on the bodice, no back seam and the skirt fuller at the hemline. I placed the "cut on fold" line 1" from the fold to allow for the pintucks, and then  I split the pattern from the hem up to the casing line in two different places and added 6 inches to the back and 4 inches to the front.


I attached the lace to the lining and left it free from the dress.



I used the palest pink for the piping, and just a bit of picot satin ribbon for trim between the pintucks on the bodice front.  Because I omitted the seam in the back of the dress I had to hand sew the lining down at the armholes. I used a thread loop for my button closure at the back instead of the loop closure.

Over all I was pleased with working with this pattern as a basis for what I had imagined,( something between a regency era gown and an anthropology fashionista-lol)  and we were both happy with the finished dress.!!  






I'm hoping to make a few more fashions from this pattern, for sure a few of the shorter tunic length tops will be great for school.  Head on over to the Frances Suzanne Flip this Pattern Link Up and see how some other talented Mom's flipped this pattern!!!  While you'r there, take a peek at what these two sisters have sewn up, on their blog.  Some very cute and inspiring ideas,  Thank you for hosting this fun series.
Have you flipped yet ?!!!!

Until next time...
Have fun sewing, creating and "flipping"

xx Kim









Post a Comment