Friday, June 7, 2013

Skirt Week 2013

Skirt week 2013

The sun finally came out and we took some hurried pictures of the skirts I made for skirt week hosted by Crafterhours...

But first of all I would like to explain that I'm an......oddball,,,,when it come to what I wear.  I don't like what's in style, or what everyone else is wearing.  That is part of the reason why I started sewing to begin with,,,I was an old soul even in my youth.  I always leaned toward midi's and maxi's when it came to skirts.  I loved the idea of the swish sound a full skirt makes and lifting the front to climb stairs....it just seems feminine to me....or if it isn't on the longish side it might as well be "quirky"!!  So here is what made for skirt week......
First off I took this cotton and crocheted lace table oval tablecloth I found at a thrift store...


And made a midi, hi-low skirt...It was a bit breezy, but the sun was shining, finally, so we just snapped a few off.  So that is my feminine Victorian full style.

My quirky turned out like this.....

 

I used a pattern from the book Sew Serendipity by Kay Whitt....I love her designs!!  She has a couple of new dress patterns out that I can't wait to try, but I already have this book and it is Skirt week.   As you can see it's a mix-it-up have fun with it type of skirt and that's the way I like it.
It has a faced waist, (no waistband) which is my preference also.    Then my daughter loves to model so she went a grabbed the skirt I made for her, a simple elastic waist dirndl with a twist...we used a quilted fabric with appliqued butterflies on it.



So there are my skirts for Skirt Week 2013...Can't believe I got it done, (between deciding to do it, rain, and sun at the last minute) but it's all fun stuff.  There is a lot of inspiration so head on over to see what everyone else has sewn up!!

Until next time....
Happy Sewing

xx Kim




Post a Comment