Friday, May 3, 2013

One of my Favorite Things-

Bonnets...I love sewing them and seeing them on babies and little girls.  They have long been a staple in layettes and for toddlers to keep that precious baby skin safe from bright sunlight and windy days.  I started sewing bonnets for my daughter and kept her in one till she was about 4 years old.  I fell in love with making them but there didn't seem to be a lot of new mom's using them.....until this spring !  I'm finding there is a new love of bonnets out there so I thought I would share some of the bonnets I have made, and a few patterns I have found if you would like to sew one for your little princess!!
Open T Back Bonnet

 I made the itty bitty dress to go with this bonnet with piping and bias tape to finish the look!!
This one I hand embroidered a simple design (on both sides) and used a petite cotton lace for trim.
 I used a cotton/linen blend fabric for this scalloped brimmed beauty!  A pleated satin ribbon frames the face with a picot edged satin ribbon tie.

Large Floppy Brimmed Bonnet
 These two have a large floppy brim edged with lace or ruffled fabric to look like lace edging.  This is the pattern I used for my daughter's bonnets and I loved how her little face peeked out of the floppy brim!!  Oh and she hated shoes so I made numerous fabric booties/shoes to coordinate with her bonnets and/or outfits.


These are just a few of my favorite bonnets, I have many more and even more ideas..LOL  oh I will have to live forever to make all my favorite things!!!!



If you would like, I take orders....or if you would like to sew a bonnet for your little princess here a some wonderful tutorials and patterns that I have found that some very talented ladies are sharing !!! Oh happy day!!


First is The Reversible Bonnet Tutorial by CassCanSew.  This is a cute little bonnet, very quick and easy, plus you get two looks for one!!  While there be sure to check out her other tutorials, they are all super cute and have a vintage/retro look.

There is a new free pattern from Mommy's Apron Strings.  I'm sooo looking forward to making this one,, it just came out yesterday and it looks wonderful with a scalloped brim and the option to smock or not!!!

Southern-Stitches has Tapered Smocked Bonnet free pattern which I have used and given to family and friends..  

I hope you find the perfect bonnet for your little one...I'm hoping to try a few new patterns !!!

My version of Tapered Smocked Bonnet
Until next time..
Happy Bonnet Sewing ...

xx Kim

Post a Comment